Recent from talks
Knowledge base stats:
Talk channels stats:
Members stats:
Metro Manila Subway
The Metro Rail Transit Line 9, or MRT-9, also known the Metro Manila Subway Project (MMSP), or commonly known as the Metro Manila Subway is an under-construction underground rapid transit line in Metro Manila, Philippines. The 33-kilometer (21 mi) line, which will run north–south between Valenzuela, Quezon City, Pasig, Taguig, Parañaque and Pasay, consists of 17 stations between the East Valenzuela and Bicutan stations. It will become the country's second direct airport rail link after the North–South Commuter Railway, with a branch line to Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
Dubbed as the country's "Project of the Century", the Metro Manila Subway broke ground on February 27, 2019, and construction began the following December. Subsequently, suffering delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the line was scheduled to fully open in 2029. The project is expected to cost ₱355.6 billion (equivalent to US$7.06 billion in 2017 dollars). Much of its cost is covered by a loan provided by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). However, it is unlikely to be completed during Bongbong Marcos' administration due to right of way problems; operations are expected to begin in 2032.
The Metro Manila Subway is planned to be integrated with the public transit system in Metro Manila. Passengers may take various forms of road-based public transport, such as buses and jeepneys, to and from a station to reach their intended destination. The line is designed to connect with other urban rail transit services in the region; riders may transfer to LRT Line 1, MRT Line 3, and MRT Line 7 at the nearby North Triangle Common Station, which is also currently under construction. Other connections include the existing LRT Line 2 and NSCR, as well as the MRT Line 4 and MRT Line 8.
The line is projected to serve 370,000 passengers per day in the short term, with longer term growth leading to a projected 1.5 million passengers of daily ridership.
The idea of building a subway in the Greater Manila Area had been forwarded as early as 1973, when the JICA (at the time known as the Overseas Technical Cooperation Agency or OTCA) and former Secretary of Public Works and Highways David Consunji conducted a study on what shall later be Metro Manila (formally constituted on November 7, 1975). The 1973 plan was known as the Urban Transport Study in Manila Metropolitan Area (UTSMMA).
The 1973 plan provided for the construction of five heavy rail subway lines in Metro Manila. The first line (Line 1) would have a length of 27.1 kilometers (16.8 mi), running from Constitution Hills (now Batasan Hills), Quezon City to Talon, Las Piñas. The second line (Line 2), meanwhile, would be 36 kilometers (22 mi) long from Novaliches, Quezon City to Cainta, Rizal, while Line 3 for 24.3 kilometers (15.1 mi) throughout Epifanio de los Santos Avenue. The fourth line (Line 4) would have been 30.1 kilometers (18.7 mi) long from Marikina to Zapote, Bacoor, and the fifth line would have a length of 17.6 kilometers (10.9 mi) from Rizal Avenue, Manila to Meycauayan, Bulacan. The plan would have resolved the traffic problems of Metro Manila and would have taken 15 years to complete, or until 1988.
In 1975, a Reuters report said Manila was having traffic problems as many people feared that the population would grow, the number of commuters would increase, and there would be one day with only people on the streets with no vehicles. Also, it says that the team from JICA is studying the project that recommended the subway system and was expected to cost about US$930 million.
In 1976, JICA conducted a feasibility study of the line, known as Rapid Transit Railway (RTR) Line 1. The study proposed a tentative route from Manila International Airport (MIA), now Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), to the University of the Philippines in Quezon City, totaling 25.2 kilometers (15.7 mi). With the planned completion dates between 1983 and 2000 for that line with four stages, the other lines would have been constructed as part of the RTR network: Line 2 would connect Novaliches in Quezon City to Guadalupe, Makati; Line 3 would connect Malabon to Roxas Boulevard in Pasay; Line 4 would connect Baclaran in Parañaque to Cubao in Quezon City; and Line 5 would connect Binondo to Marulas in Valenzuela. Also, Pacific Consultants International and the Japan Overseas Consultants participated as a study team. According to some critics of the LRT Line 1 that was built instead of the RTR Line 1, Marcos decided against the subway after being convinced by his advisers that the line could not be completed before Singapore finished its own first line.
Hub AI
Metro Manila Subway AI simulator
(@Metro Manila Subway_simulator)
Metro Manila Subway
The Metro Rail Transit Line 9, or MRT-9, also known the Metro Manila Subway Project (MMSP), or commonly known as the Metro Manila Subway is an under-construction underground rapid transit line in Metro Manila, Philippines. The 33-kilometer (21 mi) line, which will run north–south between Valenzuela, Quezon City, Pasig, Taguig, Parañaque and Pasay, consists of 17 stations between the East Valenzuela and Bicutan stations. It will become the country's second direct airport rail link after the North–South Commuter Railway, with a branch line to Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
Dubbed as the country's "Project of the Century", the Metro Manila Subway broke ground on February 27, 2019, and construction began the following December. Subsequently, suffering delays due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the line was scheduled to fully open in 2029. The project is expected to cost ₱355.6 billion (equivalent to US$7.06 billion in 2017 dollars). Much of its cost is covered by a loan provided by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). However, it is unlikely to be completed during Bongbong Marcos' administration due to right of way problems; operations are expected to begin in 2032.
The Metro Manila Subway is planned to be integrated with the public transit system in Metro Manila. Passengers may take various forms of road-based public transport, such as buses and jeepneys, to and from a station to reach their intended destination. The line is designed to connect with other urban rail transit services in the region; riders may transfer to LRT Line 1, MRT Line 3, and MRT Line 7 at the nearby North Triangle Common Station, which is also currently under construction. Other connections include the existing LRT Line 2 and NSCR, as well as the MRT Line 4 and MRT Line 8.
The line is projected to serve 370,000 passengers per day in the short term, with longer term growth leading to a projected 1.5 million passengers of daily ridership.
The idea of building a subway in the Greater Manila Area had been forwarded as early as 1973, when the JICA (at the time known as the Overseas Technical Cooperation Agency or OTCA) and former Secretary of Public Works and Highways David Consunji conducted a study on what shall later be Metro Manila (formally constituted on November 7, 1975). The 1973 plan was known as the Urban Transport Study in Manila Metropolitan Area (UTSMMA).
The 1973 plan provided for the construction of five heavy rail subway lines in Metro Manila. The first line (Line 1) would have a length of 27.1 kilometers (16.8 mi), running from Constitution Hills (now Batasan Hills), Quezon City to Talon, Las Piñas. The second line (Line 2), meanwhile, would be 36 kilometers (22 mi) long from Novaliches, Quezon City to Cainta, Rizal, while Line 3 for 24.3 kilometers (15.1 mi) throughout Epifanio de los Santos Avenue. The fourth line (Line 4) would have been 30.1 kilometers (18.7 mi) long from Marikina to Zapote, Bacoor, and the fifth line would have a length of 17.6 kilometers (10.9 mi) from Rizal Avenue, Manila to Meycauayan, Bulacan. The plan would have resolved the traffic problems of Metro Manila and would have taken 15 years to complete, or until 1988.
In 1975, a Reuters report said Manila was having traffic problems as many people feared that the population would grow, the number of commuters would increase, and there would be one day with only people on the streets with no vehicles. Also, it says that the team from JICA is studying the project that recommended the subway system and was expected to cost about US$930 million.
In 1976, JICA conducted a feasibility study of the line, known as Rapid Transit Railway (RTR) Line 1. The study proposed a tentative route from Manila International Airport (MIA), now Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), to the University of the Philippines in Quezon City, totaling 25.2 kilometers (15.7 mi). With the planned completion dates between 1983 and 2000 for that line with four stages, the other lines would have been constructed as part of the RTR network: Line 2 would connect Novaliches in Quezon City to Guadalupe, Makati; Line 3 would connect Malabon to Roxas Boulevard in Pasay; Line 4 would connect Baclaran in Parañaque to Cubao in Quezon City; and Line 5 would connect Binondo to Marulas in Valenzuela. Also, Pacific Consultants International and the Japan Overseas Consultants participated as a study team. According to some critics of the LRT Line 1 that was built instead of the RTR Line 1, Marcos decided against the subway after being convinced by his advisers that the line could not be completed before Singapore finished its own first line.